Publisher: Vilnius University   (Total: 38 journals)   [Sort by number of followers]

Showing 1 - 38 of 38 Journals sorted alphabetically
Accounting Theory and Practice     Open Access   (Followers: 6)
Acta medica Lituanica     Open Access  
Acta Paedagogica Vilnensia     Open Access  
Archaeologia Lituana     Open Access  
Baltic J. of Political Science     Open Access   (Followers: 1)
Baltistica     Open Access  
Criminological Studies     Open Access   (Followers: 1)
Ekonomika (Economics)     Open Access  
Informacijos mokslai     Open Access  
J.ism Research     Open Access   (Followers: 4)
Jaunujų mokslininkų darbai     Open Access  
Kalbotyra     Open Access  
Knygotyra (Book Science)     Open Access  
Lietuvių kalba     Open Access  
Lietuvos istorijos studijos     Open Access  
Lietuvos Matematikos Rinkinys     Open Access  
Lietuvos Statistikos Darbai     Open Access  
Literatūra     Open Access  
Lithuanian Surgery : Lietuvos Chirurgija     Open Access  
Nonlinear Analysis : Modelling and Control     Open Access   (Followers: 1)
Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies     Open Access   (Followers: 1)
Politologija     Open Access  
Problemos     Open Access  
Psychology     Open Access  
Religija ir kultūra     Open Access  
Respectus Philologicus     Open Access  
Scandinavistica Vilnensis     Open Access  
Semiotika     Open Access  
Slavistica Vilnensis     Open Access   (Followers: 1)
Socialinė teorija, empirija, politika ir praktika     Open Access  
Socialiniai tyrimai     Open Access  
Sociology : Thought and Action     Open Access  
Taikomoji kalbotyra     Open Access  
Teisė : Law     Open Access  
Verbum     Open Access  
Vertimo studijos (Translation Studies)     Open Access   (Followers: 1)
Vilnius University Open Series     Open Access  
Vilnius University Proceedings     Open Access  
Similar Journals
Journal Cover
Knygotyra (Book Science)
Number of Followers: 0  

  This is an Open Access Journal Open Access journal
ISSN (Print) 0204-2061 - ISSN (Online) 0204-2061
Published by Vilnius University Homepage  [38 journals]
  • Editorial Board and Table of Contents

    • Authors: Aušra Navickienė
      Pages: 1 - 6
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
  • The Book Cover as a Paratext: Biblia Germanicolatina in the Martynas
           Mažvydas National Library of Lithuania

    • Authors: Milda Kvizikevičiūtė
      Pages: 7 - 19
      Abstract: The book cover of Biblia Germanicolatina (1565), which is held at the Rare Books and Manuscrips Unit of the Martynas Mažvydas National Library of Lithuania, is analysed in this paper. This Bible was printed in a 20-volume collection in Wittenberg on request of August the Elect of Saxony (1526–1586). It was printed in the Latin and German languages. This Bible later became a part of various European libraries. Biblia Germanicolatina is analysed in the light of the paratext theory, which as a book history term is first used by French literary theorist Gerard Genette (1987). Genette used this term to describe objects and subjects surrounding the text: text spacing, lettering, book covers and even book advertisements. The analysis is performed using the provenance method, which leads to discovering the origins of the book’s binding and its primary sources. As of right now, five out of the 20 volumes from the collection are known to be held in Lithuanian memory institutions. As a result of this research, we were able to identify the bookbinder from Wittenberg who ordered the plate for tooling in 1564.
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      DOI: 10.15388/Knygotyra.2021.77.88
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
  • Aspects of the Epigraphic Culture of Cannon Inscriptions during the Reign
           of Sigismund Augustus

    • Authors: Kšištof Tolkačevski
      Pages: 20 - 71
      Abstract: Any object marked with epigraphic writing becomes unique in the totality of the same objects and acquires the status of a monument. In the 16th century, cannons were also marked with inscriptions (texts and images): some were created for warfare, others – to commemorate a certain event. During the reign of Sigismund Augustus, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania created the necessary infrastructure for cannon casting, which allowed it to produce large numbers of cannons to prepare for its war with the Grand Duchy of Moscow. The article attempts to reconstruct inscriptions on cannons using original and published archival sources stored in memory institutions in foreign countries (Poland, Sweden). An appendix covering 67 cannon records made it possible to perceive the structure of such inscriptions. Meanwhile, with the help of the ego-documentary legacy of the last Jagiellonian ruler, it was possible to study the functionality of cannon recordings in the context of epigraphic culture, paying special attention to the stages of the record’s emergence. This has so far been little studied at all. The collected data allowed to reach the conclusion that it was the ruler of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania who directly influenced the form, names, and content of the inscriptions on cannons.
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      DOI: 10.15388/Knygotyra.2021.77.89
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
  • Second Copy of Suma Evangelijų from the First Edition of Knygos
           Nobažnystės (1653)

    • Authors: Mindaugas Šinkūnas, Mindaugas Šinkūnas
      Pages: 72 - 86
      Abstract: It has long been thought that the only known 1653 copy of the first edition of the Knygos Nobažnystės is preserved in Sweden. The sammelband consists of a hymnal without a separate title page, the postil “Suma Evangelijų”, and the prayer book “Maldos krikščioniškos” with the catechism Katekizmas arba trumpas pamokslas. One part (the postil “Suma Evangelijų”) of the Knygos nobažnystės is preserved in the library of the Emeryk Hutten-Czapski National Museum in Kraków. It has hitherto been classified by bibliographers as a counterfeit edition, but a comparative analysis leaves no doubt that it is the second known copy of the first edition of the Knygos Nobažnystės postil “Suma Evangelijų”.
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      DOI: 10.15388/Knygotyra.2021.77.90
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
  • A Vilnius Transcript of the Health Garden: A Codicological Study

    • Authors: Rima Cicėnienė
      Pages: 87 - 170
      Abstract: This article is devoted to the history of cultural relations between the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Moscovian Rus’ as well as the artifacts that testify to it. The object of the research is a Vilnius transcript of the Health Garden (a translation of Gart der Gesundheit (1492) into Russian) kept in the Wróblewski Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences (LMAVB RS F22–25). The aim of the article is to present a revised codicological description of the object, identifying the features of the Vilnius transcript and its links with the culture of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. This aim is achieved by using codicological, comparative and textual methods, compiling a detailed codicological description of the copy, analyzing the architecture and internal structures of the code, and identifying differences or similarities between the Vilnius, Flor, Uvarov, and Shelonin copies of the Health Garden. Based on the gathered data, the circumstances of compiling the code are clarified. The study identified the following features of the Code. The large-scale codex, created in Moscow between the 17th and 18th centuries, is not a homogeneous object. It consists of two different editions: the index is closer to the Uvarov transcript and the main text to the Kharkov / Flor transcript. The second feature is careful preparation of the transcript. The codex was drafted as an exemplary edition of an old manuscript and is richly illustrated. Colored pigments were used for decoration, leaving traces of gilding. The edges of the Codex block were painted and decorated in ornamental prints. This allows us to consider the high social status of the client of the code. The third feature is the completeness of the text of the Vilnius copy. It consists of the most comprehensive block of indexes; the main text has been supplemented with new objects, enriched with new images; the text contains as many as 237 names of medicinal substances and 38 minerals in Russian. The remarks and additions contained in the previous transcripts became an integral part of the texts of the Vilnius transcript. The identified features, overlapping formal features, and organization scheme of the text, as well as the same manner of illustration, gave reason to search for a place where all the mentioned copies – Flor, Uvarov, Shelonin – as well as other old prints or their translations could have been seen by the creators of the Vilnius transcript. It is believed that such a place could have been the The Apothecary Chancery. Some Polonisms are found in the text; the works of authors from the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth were used in the Rus’ at that time and thus encourage a closer look at the translations and the search for citizens from the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth who could have participated in the works. The research clarifies the available knowledge about the transcript kept in Vilnius. The information gathered is expected to help book historians clarify the origin of the codex, its production environment, and its place in the Gart der Gesundheit’s line of translations and transcripts; this paper will make it possible to identify other stored fragments. The article is supplemented with a comparative table of the structure and content of the Vilnius transcript of the Health Garden and a decor picture of the code block.
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      DOI: 10.15388/Knygotyra.2021.77.91
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
  • Manuscript Books: Collections of Political Life Materials from the Area of
           the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Dating Back to the 17th and 18th Centuries in
           Libraries, Archives and Museums in Poland

    • Authors: Maciej Matwijów
      Pages: 171 - 202
      Abstract: The article discusses manuscript books – collections of public life materials created in the 17th and 18th centuries in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, now located in Poland. They were created mainly by nobles and by chancellery clerks and officials employed at magnates’ and state dignitaries’ courts as an expression of the interests of collectors or documentary and historiographical concerns, and sometimes also as support for public activity. They contained various materials related to conducting, documenting and recording public life. The present overview is based on an identification of copies and on the information contained in printed and online manuscript catalogues and inventories. The number of surviving manuscripts of that type can be hypothetically estimated at ca. 400–500 copies, with ca. 100 copies identified in Poland. Their largest collection is held in the Radvilos Archives, part of the Central Archives of Historical Records in Warsaw, with single copies scattered across different libraries and museums. The oldest ones date back to the late 16th and early 17th centuries. The greatest value should be attributed to several manuscripts originating from the Radvilos of Biržai community from the mid-17th century. Other valuable manuscripts include some made by common nobles, especially in the 17th century, as they often contain unique materials, unknown from elsewhere, as well as those created in the circles of the Sapiegos and Radvilos of Nyasvizh magnate families. Standing out among the latter are miscellanies created during the first three decades of the 18th century by Kazimierz Złotkowski, secretary of the Grand Chancellor of Lithuania Karolis Stanislovas Radvila. These books attest to the integration of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania’s nobility and magnates with other lands of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. They largely contain materials relating to public life of the whole Commonwealth, while often including materials relating to local issues.
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      DOI: 10.15388/Knygotyra.2021.77.92
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
  • The Phenomenon of the 18th Century Institutional Printing House of the
           Grand Duchy of Lithuania: The Case of the Franciscans

    • Authors: Ina Kažuro
      Pages: 203 - 235
      Abstract: Many of the printing houses in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania that operated during the 17th-18th centuries belonged to institutions the biggest part of which consisted of Catholic monk monasteries. Despite belonging to one group, the development path of each printing house and its contribution to book culture has unique features. Of the four institutional prin­ting houses operating in the 18th century in Vilnius, the printing house of the Franciscan Conventuals Monastery was the first to be closed and its operations terminated. The purpose of the article is to identify the following causes behind the issues and eventual closure of this printing house. Based on the expenses and income book of this printing house for the period 1752–1769 (it is preserved at the Department of Manuscripts of Vilnius University Library,) this paper examines various aspects of the Vilnius Franciscan Conventuals monastery printing house: funds, sources of equipment and paper, building location, relations with employees and hired craftsmen, orders, sources of income, profitability. In order to better understand the specificity of the institutional press, an effort was made to establish a link between the research outcome and the wider context by addressing the question of the impact of both the society of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Franciscan Order itself on the destiny of the printing house. In addition, the book of expenses and income reveals new biographical data about Vilnius engraver Franciszek Balcewicz.
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      DOI: 10.15388/Knygotyra.2021.77.93
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
  • Underground Press of Social Democratic Organizations in Šiauliai in
           1904–1914

    • Authors: Tomas Petreikis
      Pages: 236 - 276
      Abstract: This article deals with propaganda activities, such as publishing proclamations (20 publications), revolutionary songs (1), and underground periodicals (1), by local organizations of the Bund, LSDDP, LSDP and RSDDP in Šiauliai in 1904–1914. Political changes in Russia in 1904–1907 created favorable conditions for social democratic organizations to actively carry out propaganda activities, but the intensity at which they were carried out was not uniform across Lithuania. The proletarian profile of Šiauliai and the particularly active activity of the LSDP allowed to mobilize propagandists in a short time, to prepare the necessary proclamations on the spot, and to provide the necessary press equipment. During the years of the revolution (1905–1907), Šiauliai had to emerge as the second center of the social democratic movement in Lithuania. After the defeat of the revolution in Russia, due to the increased persecution of social democratic forces, the underground organizations failed to mobilize their press capacity or develop more active propaganda events; therefore, the political parties even had to suspend the activities of local organizations in Šiauliai. The integration of social democratic youth into the social democratic organizations of Šiauliai took place in c. 1912 and gave hope for a stronger revival of propaganda. The resumption of activities ceased in the first years of the First World War. The large-scale underground press developed in underground conditions expressed the expectations of the local population, reflected the involvement of parties in the formation of political views of the urban population, and was a counterweight to official information. Therefore, its assessment is inseparable from the realities of the political context of that time.
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      DOI: 10.15388/Knygotyra.2021.77.94
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
  • Prohibited Press in the Central State Bookshop in 1919–1940

    • Authors: Arida Riaubienė
      Pages: 277 - 305
      Abstract: This article analyses the issues of collecting and storing illegal publications and those confiscated by censorship authorities in the Central State Bookshop. It describes the structure of the military and other general censorship institutions, which sent the prohibited press to the Central State Bookshop. The aim of the study is to establish the approximate date of commencement of the activities of the department that stored confiscated by censorship or illegally issued publications, and several lists of publications prohibited by censorship and transmitted by the CSB are discussed. It is worth noting that until the 1940s, libraries were also called bookshops. In 1936, after the promulgation of the Law on Public Libraries, the Central State Bookshop became the Central State Library, and its departments became state public libraries. Between 1919–1922, under the management of Eduardas Volteris, the collection and storage of illegal and censored publications at the Central State Bookshop became a matter of interest. The legal deposit was the key and constant source of acquisition of the collections of the Central State Bookshop. In 1919 and 1935, the press laws stipulated how many mandatory copies had to be delivered to county governors or simply to state institutions. However, illegal and confiscated publications were not included in the legal deposit. The main aim of the library was to collect and store all publications published in Lithuania and by Lithuanian publishers abroad. Therefore, it was important for the library to compile a complete set of the current press. To obtain prohibited titles, the library cooperated with the structural units of the Ministry of National Defense and the Ministry of the Interior responsible for the supervision of the press. In various historical periods, unequal attention was paid to the compilation of censorship-restricted press in the Central State Bookshop. Until the 1930s, there was an intensive correspondence between war censors and the Press and Societies Division of the Department of Civil Protection about sending and collecting prohibited press in the Central State Bookstore. During c. 1920–1921, illegal and confiscated publications began to be collected in a separate office called the “secret division”. In the 1940s, censorship institutions sent lists of prohibited press of various volumes to the library. After reviewing the publications on these lists, no signs of censorship could be found. Records of censorship office provenances and censorship officers were found in individual publications that were not included in the lists of prohibited books. Although the publications confiscated by censorship authorities were stored in the library of the University of Lithuania, and in the library of Vytautas Magnus University since 1930, CSB was the only library in the interwar period in which special attention was paid to the issues of collecting prohibited press. Use of the prohibited press was restricted. These titles were not open to general public; only employees of ministries and members of the Seimas could read it. The prohibited press could serve scientific research and press statistics.
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      DOI: 10.15388/Knygotyra.2021.77.95
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
  • Author Guidelines and Bibliographical Data

    • Authors: Aušra Navickienė
      Pages: 405 - 409
      PubDate: 2021-12-30
      Issue No: Vol. 77 (2021)
       
 
JournalTOCs
School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, UK
Email: journaltocs@hw.ac.uk
Tel: +00 44 (0)131 4513762
 


Your IP address: 3.236.234.223
 
Home (Search)
API
About JournalTOCs
News (blog, publications)
JournalTOCs on Twitter   JournalTOCs on Facebook

JournalTOCs © 2009-